July 12, 2009

In all fairness....

Reed is, shall we say... a handful. When he's good, he's a great kid. But when he's bad... it's pretty bad. And I have proof. Here's a note that we got from his teacher a few weeks ago.

Reed had a very rough day today. He threw many fits, would not listen to his teachers and continued to hit, spit, and kick all day. I had to move him at snack because he could not handle sitting by his friends and he threw a very large tantrum where he called me stupid and screamed for about 10 minutes. Eventually he calmed down and joined us. After that I noticed his eyes were a little red. I couldn't tell if it was allergies or from the tantrum. I gave him a cold compress to hold on his eye. You may want to keep your eye on it! If you could talk to him about his behavior I would appreciate it.

So we talked to him. And we thought we got through to him. Apparently we didn't, because the next school day, we got this note:

Once again Reed had a very rough day. He threw approximately 5 tantrums where he screamed loudly, stomped his feet, kicked chairs, threw toys and called people "stupid". Every time he did this I had to carry him out of the room or away from others. It was very hard to talk to him because all he would do is scream. Please try to talk to him about this behavior so it does not continue.

We finally came up with a solution. We told him that if he continued to have bad days at school, he wouldn't be allowed to go to T-Ball anymore. What he didn't know is that he had a 2 week break from T-ball already... so even if he was good he wouldn't be going to go play.

After that week, he's been good. I'm not sure if it was the threat of losing T-ball (and the snacks after the game), or maybe it was the Benadryl that we started giving him (at night) to take care of the allergies.

It's moot now, though... he has two more days of preschool, then he will be home with dad and Matthew for the rest of the summer..... Until he starts kindergarten. Then I'm afraid that we may see the notes coming home again.

Here's a picture from a few years ago... but it pretty sums up the look on his face when you know he's going to be trouble.


No comments:

Post a Comment