We went to the Timber Rattlers game last night. We were lured there (along with 5200+ other people) by the promise of "Kids Eat Free" (a free hot dog and soda), Kids Run the Bases, fireworks after the game, and to top it all off... an appearance by Spider-Man. And a baseball game. What better way to celebrate the 4th of July? (Even if it was the 3rd of July.)
We left the house around 6:30 for a 7:05 game. We met our first line on Casaloma drive as we waited to drive into the stadium parking lot. I bought tickets over the phone, so we headed to the "will call" window to pick them up. The line for the will call window snaked all around the front entrance to the park. I found that out when I got in what I thought was the end of the line and was politely told, "Hey Lady - the end of the line is over there."
We finally got our tickets, then we went into the park to find the home team down 9-0 in the bottom of the 2nd inning. We figured we might as well eat. Scott took the free hot dog and soda vouchers and got in yet another line. He came back about a 1/2 hour later with dinner for himself and the boys. I wanted chicken tenders, so I headed over to the 1st base side, and got in line. Again. 45 minutes later, I was back at my seat. By now it's the middle of the 4th(?) inning, and we are finally sitting together as a family. Everyone's fed, no one is whining. It's all good.
About the 6th inning, I figured we should go check out Spider-Man. By that time, the line had been closed. It was over an hour and a half wait, and there wasn't that much time left in the night. Reed and I got to watch Spider-Man pose with some of the kids who had waited (patiently?) all that time. The look on Reed's face was totally worth it. He was totally in awe of seeing (the REAL) Spider-Man up so close. Would he have gotten more out of it if we had been able to take a picture with Spider-Man? I don't think so. He was just amazed to be that near him.
After the game, we watched a spectacular fireworks display, and then we got in line to run the bases. Scott took them down on the field while I waited in the stands. Kids really do look tiny out on that big field. Reed missed first base (by about 10 feet), so he went back to touch it. It was really cute.
By now, it was after 11:00, and everyone was getting tired. What was left? Wait in line (again) to get out of the park. Once we were out of the stadium driveway, it was a short trip home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment