At the retreat, the members of the council complimented me on the most recent issue of the church newsletter. Even though I have a template that I follow, and all of the articles are written for me, I still have to do a fair amount of copy editing. It's also hard to figure out how to fit (or stretch) the material into 4 pages. I am always happy with the end result, but it's a long (and sometimes tedious) process. So - when everyone was telling me what a nice job I did, I immediately began to deflect their kind words. Instead of just saying "thank you", I went on about how long it took, and how it was a day late, etc. Jen called me on it - and challenged me (and all of us) to learn to say "thank you" when given a compliment. We should be proud of our accomplishments and not try to hide behind them. So - the next time someone pays you a compliment - ACCEPT IT!
January 31, 2009
1/31/2009
This morning I went to a church council retreat at Monte Alverno retreat center in Appleton. We spent the morning discussing our core values (as they relate to the Family Church), and started the beginning of a mission statement. We really got a lot accomplished in a short period of time.
At the retreat, the members of the council complimented me on the most recent issue of the church newsletter. Even though I have a template that I follow, and all of the articles are written for me, I still have to do a fair amount of copy editing. It's also hard to figure out how to fit (or stretch) the material into 4 pages. I am always happy with the end result, but it's a long (and sometimes tedious) process. So - when everyone was telling me what a nice job I did, I immediately began to deflect their kind words. Instead of just saying "thank you", I went on about how long it took, and how it was a day late, etc. Jen called me on it - and challenged me (and all of us) to learn to say "thank you" when given a compliment. We should be proud of our accomplishments and not try to hide behind them. So - the next time someone pays you a compliment - ACCEPT IT!
At the retreat, the members of the council complimented me on the most recent issue of the church newsletter. Even though I have a template that I follow, and all of the articles are written for me, I still have to do a fair amount of copy editing. It's also hard to figure out how to fit (or stretch) the material into 4 pages. I am always happy with the end result, but it's a long (and sometimes tedious) process. So - when everyone was telling me what a nice job I did, I immediately began to deflect their kind words. Instead of just saying "thank you", I went on about how long it took, and how it was a day late, etc. Jen called me on it - and challenged me (and all of us) to learn to say "thank you" when given a compliment. We should be proud of our accomplishments and not try to hide behind them. So - the next time someone pays you a compliment - ACCEPT IT!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment